Established in 1873 in the verandah of the Church, with 75 Boys and 12 Girls, Headmaster Mr. B, Emmanuel Split into two, Boys’ School and Girls’ School in 1876. The headmaster of the Boys’ School Mr. Leo de Silva Rev, Fr. Pius Fernando Mis, Ap, a Diocesan Priest from Negombo, Parish Priest from 1880 to 1930 built the old row of trellis walled classrooms which still stands today. In 1881 the School was recognized for the teaching of English. Mr. K.D. Fernando becomes Principal in 1881.
in 1901 the present Robinson Memorial hall was built on land donated by Mr. John Croos of Negombo In 1904. Mr. Joseph Gregory Perera, an old boy of the School joined as a pupil-teacher retired in 1946, He was popularly known as “Joseph master”, Headmasters during his time were J,M, Direckse, AS, Scharnignivel, L,D’w, Jayasighe, C,J, Rodrigo and Charles Robinson. Mr. Charls Robinson installed as Headmaster on 1st September 1923. He retired as principal in 1958. Cadet Platoon (Junior) inaugurated on 10.12.1938 under the charge of Mr. J,B, Madasekara, Later Mr. E.A. Perusinghe, who was a Lieutenant took over cadetting.
The Scout Troop 3rd Matale was inaugurated in 1935 with Mr. F. de S, Gunawardena as Scout Master and S,B, Pamunuwa as his Assistant, When Mr. Robinson retired he was succeeded by Mr. George Denlow who left the School after a short stint and he was replaced by Mr. B.J. Perera.
Today, St. Thomas’ College Matale has transformed in to the most prominent boys school in the region, currently mentoring over 2000 Thomians to the nation.
Over a century of years, the school was dedicated to developing a knowledge-based generation. Developing and enhancing capacities of young buds by providing opportunities for numerous extracurricular activities like cricket, Hokey, Swimming, Interact Club etc. St’ Thomas College – Matale prove the outstanding ability by remarking their Hokey Team to the Best Team in the National category.
Many personalities gifted to the nation by our dearest Great Alma Mater…